Call (855) 922-5985

Paternity cases involve unmarried parents that desire to be recognized as the lawful parents of a child. Our office can assist you in obtaining a DNA test if there is doubt that you are the parent. In a paternity case, a court has the power to issue orders in the areas of child custody or child support. But a judge will not have the power to make spousal support or property related orders in a paternity case. 

The paternity lawsuit papers must be personally served on the other party. Once served, both parties will be prohibited from removing their children from California. The other party will have 30 days to file and serve their response papers or risk default. 

Often times unmarried parents believe that there is no need to get court orders because they have a good relationship with the other parent and are happy with their parenting time. This is a mistake and the importance of obtaining a judgment of parentage cannot be overstated, especially in situations where parents want to move away with children or enter new relationships. Until a judge states that a parent is a "legal" parent to the child, a parent would at most only be a presumed parent due to the declaration of paternity signed prior to being placed on the child's birth certificate. Generally, a declaration of paternity will be valid unless set aside within two years.

If you are contemplating filing a paternity case, have been served with related papers, or would like to obtain a DNA test before orders are issued, do not hesitate and immediately contact Singer & Associates to set up a consultation to better understand your situation.

Each case has unique facts and circumstances and this area of law is always changing. Readers are encouraged to seek independent legal advice regarding their individual situation and legal issues. Contact the attorney's of Singer & Associate Law Office to set up a consultation.